THE LIFE LONG LEADERS PROGRAM
Partners In Teaching Children Creativity And Leadership At The Ann M. Donner Middle School
The Life Long Leaders Program is a Brieant Youth Alliance sponsored program that challenges and empowers today’s youth by providing them with the skills and motivation necessary to positively impact their own lives and the lives of those in their communities. This program is designed to help young children examine who they are and how to use this awareness to be productive contributors.
The principals that underlie the program include:
- Leaders come in all forms but the essential qualities of a leader are consistent.
- Leaders are aware of and lead from their strengths, while remaining humble and self-aware.
- Leaders focus on the wellbeing of others, not just themselves.
The program is teacher structured but student inspired, and activities include:
- Identification of leaders in society at large or even within one’s own community
- Engaging, interactive small-group sessions designed to encourage students to learn collaborative, communications, and presentational skills
- Team-building activities to foster the sharing of ideas and to help students learn how to compromise, an essential quality for leaders to accomplish their goals.
Instructional components may include:
- Identifying Leadership concepts – ethical awareness, honesty, responsibility, accountability, kindness, persistence, etc.
- Bias awareness, diversity issues, and stereotyping
- Goal setting and execution
- Communication and presentation skills
- Problem solving, conflict resolution, and empathy exercises to underscore the need for all leaders to work within a community of peers and colleagues
When students leave The Life Long Leaders Program, they have a focus and a vision for their future years. Our alum report being more energized to become involved in their schools and communities, braver in standing up against intolerance and bullying, more self-confident in finding their unique “voice” as a leader.
The Life Long Leaders Program is for students in the grades 6th – 8th who are selected by the Principal, Vice Principal and Guidance Counselors of the Anne M. Donner Middle School based on grades and who they think may have leadership potential but haven’t yet stepped up to any leadership role. Students who believe they have no leadership potential and are least likely to stand in the limelight are also included.
During the course of the program, we get these young children to think about what kind of leader they are and if they are leading by positive or negative example. They find themselves in a warm and accepting environment where their ideas and values are listened to without judgment… a novel experience for many of them.
OVERVIEW OF ACTIVITIES
To be determined when the students are selected and program and project are decided upon.