Where – St. Mark’s Parish Hall, 85 Main Street, Mount Kisco (a short walk from the train station)
When – 9:30 am – 4:00 pm
Why – Raise awareness of Youth issues
The purpose of this conference will be to discuss how to reduce juvenile crime and gun violence. This will be an exciting conference, designed to afford students a platform from which to speak about these very important issues. Following the conference, the students’ comments will be brought to the attention of leaders from the public and private sector.
In early 2016 we will plan a trip to Albany for a photo-op with the Governor and provide an opportunity for the students who have attended the conference, to meet with his staff. Each student will receive a free gift. Lunch will be a scrumptious BBQ.
Guest Speakers in the morning:
- Dennis Parker, Director of ACLU’s Racial Justice Program
- Michael Borrelli, ADA and Branch Chief for Northern Westchester
- Joaquim Brito, Westchester County Police
Afternoon Small Group Discussions:
- Causes of juvenile crime – Lindsay Mitchell
- Life after incarceration – Al Thompson & a person who has lived it.
- Education – Sarah Yergeau, Westchester Children’s Assoc.
- Community service -TBA
There is no charge for students. A BBQ will be provided for lunch and each attendee will receive a gift bag filled with gifts that are being provided by TD Bank and a very special donor.